Yup...I'm A Nerd...Carry On.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011


Starman came out in 1984.  (What??????) It was probably 1986 before I saw if for the first time.  (Remember when it took for-ev-er for a movie to come on HBO?)  That would put me around eleven or twelve.  I remember watching it with my mom.  She giggled at Jeff Bridges and his strange mannerisms.  During the trailer love seen she laughed especially hard at the way he kissed.  Awkward!

For those who have not seen Starman here is a brief synopsis:

An alien life form comes to earth to observe humans.  It takes the form of a still grieving widow's husband.  After her initial freak out.  He requests that she drive him from the Big Woods of Wisconsin to Winslow, Arizona.  Along the way, they are chased down by nerdy government officials, eat dutch apple pie, blow stoplights, and make a baby.  It's fantastic.  In the end (SPOILER ALERT!) he is rescued by his people at the bottom of a crater.  (Who knew they moonlighted as landing pads?)


Nerdy Government Official

Jon and I got married in 2000.  (What????)  Our first trip across country went right by this crater.  Boldly known as Meteor Crater.  We tried to stop then, but it was closed, or we had no money, or we were fighting.  I don't remember.  I pouted.  I always pout when I feel like I AM NEVER GOING TO GET THE OPPORTUNITY AGAIN!  (insert foot stamping here).

Luck be a lady, I DID get another opportunity!  In the midst of the downward spiral of the trip, Jon took a detour, and showed me a giant hole in the ground.  Boy, I love that guy.  The only reason he did it was for love.  He knows that I am a giant sci-fi nerd.  I am not at Convention level, I don't have enough team members under me, but I am pretty out there.


And here we are!




Everything was so bright white.  The sun done bleached out everathang!.



Look Gideon!


There was a grill down at the bottom.  It took away from my experience a little.  I wanted to see this:




Sigh.


Jacob is trying to see allllll the way back to Washington.


There are few places you can go without mention of Alabama.


Or Russia.


That was our lovely detour.  Should you decide to watch Starman, please oh please do not watch the ill-conceived television show starring Robert Hays.  Look for Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. Only watch Robert Hays in Airplane.  Anything else will damage you psychologically. 

1 comments:

Lettered Cottage February 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM  

I remember that movie! So cool!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP