...I need help!!! My horse for an interior decorator!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A while back I gave you a tour of the farm. 

Today, I will give you, gentle reader, a tour of the house.  At least, most of the house.  I did not snap pics of our bedroom or Jacobs bedroom.  Believe it or not, they were in worse condition than the other rooms.  When I get down to making those rooms over, I will post all the before and afters you can stand.

Here is the living room:



The area over by the fireplace is most frustrating.  There are cardboard ceiling tiles that are sagging.  The whole living room ceiling seems to be pulling away due to past water damage.  (The roof has been replaced, and the beams underneath appear to be fine.  It's just the plaster that's falling down.)

Another angle


We haven't changed anything in the room.  Just stuck our stuff in there.  We have my husbands recliner, grandma's old chair and an ikea klippan couch for seating.  I hope the paneling will paint nicely.  I really don't want to have to tear all of that down along with the ceiling. The floors are just the old sub floor.  Pawpaw got a wild hair and had the carpet torn out.  The boards are springy.  If I keep my weight down, we should be okay.

The door that is closed leads to Jacobs room.  His room is the largest in the house as far as bedrooms go.  The room boasts the same paneling as the living room.

Here we go down the hallway


Notice anything?  Yep, crooked walls.  I am truly hoping that it's just bowed paneling.  Hey, I can hope, right? This is facing back toward the living room.  On the left are two doors.  The first leads to our bedroom, the second goes to the bathroom.


Okay, the picture is very crooked.  Don't panic. Can I just take a moment to vent here?  Why in the hey diddly heck fi do people put water heaters in the bathroom and not build a closet around them?  Or build the closet and not put a DOOR?  This is the second house I have been in that I have to stare at an UGLY water heater.  It makes me so MAD! 

Okay-dusting off-carrying on.  The bathroom once had a claw foot tub.  It was removed and now there is a shower insert that has two walls that jut out and it makes zero sense.  Instead of butting it up into a corner, it just hangs out there.  It blocks the window, and leaves a small gap about a foot wide.  Maybe some shelves can go there.  Of all the rooms, I scratch my head the most on this one.

Let's move on to the kitchen and dining area


BTW, Char-lie (aka Stovie) has been replaced.  I'll pass on the moment of silence.  Wanna hear the best part?  Lowes was willing to take the darned thing away for free, but my father in law wanted to keep it.  (He had just replaced all the elements by G-- and put a new cord on it!!!)  Now it holds a place on our FRONT PORCH. 









Up next is the back porch.  One day it will be a guest/school room.


The room has lot of windows and is full of light.  As you can see, the ceiling is especially bad in this room.  This room gets priority over the others because it is kinda dangerous.  At any given time a piece of the ceiling can fall down.  Not good for guests.  Excuse the mess.   The porch and the laundry room is the "just throw it anywhere" area of the house right now.

This is what happens when Jon decorates:



He said he just wanted to get the stacks of pictures out of the way, so the cats wouldn't pee on them.  Yeah right!  If there is a picture lying around, it drives him absolutely nuts if its not on the wall.


The laundry room needs a lot of t.l.c, too.



Those two closets are the only ones in the house that have doors.  Our room and the bathroom have tiny closets that are not deep enough to hold a standard hanger.  The other bedrooms have no closet at all. 


The hole goes up to the attic.  The mess...needs to be torched.

There it is.  I don't know where to start.  I am overwhelmed!  I have lots of ideas, but I am just one gal here in Alabama.  My plan is to go room by room and take my time.

 I'd love to wake up one morning and it all be done.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM  

One room at a time is the only way to tackle big projects IMHOP. Looks like you have a great house that just needs some paint to make it brighter and tone down all that wood. Painted paneling looks really great (very cottagey) but it's takes some effort. Well worth it in the end though! Maybe start in the hallway or a small room first. You'll be motivated when you see the change!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP