The Stuff I Like

Friday, January 28, 2011

After 10 years of marriage and three kids I have done pretty well narrowing down the products I use in my home.  I used to be really bad.  I would fall for a fancy wrapper, or a classy bottle like a giddy school girl.  Lately, I just want what is cheap and what works.  That can apply to anything home related.  Cooking, cleaning, laundry, car care.  Whatev!

These are my most commonly used products:

1.  Coconut Oil


I am discovering new uses for this stuff by the day.  It is truly amazing.  From cooking, to personal products, it is wonderful.  Find out more about coconut oil here.  Please don't pay an arm and a leg for it either.  A great source that I have found is Mountain Rose Herbs.  Their prices are great and it is a company that makes you feel like you are purchasing from a store just around the corner.  I love em! (I buy a gallon at a time.)


2.  Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps 



This is a hemp and coconut oil based soap.  It also is a multi-purpose product.  My little Levi has had terrible break outs, and rosy red cheeks since he was a wee babe.  Dr. Bronner's is the only soap that has kept his skin issues at bay.  There are recipes all over the internet for hair wash, laundry soaps and tooth soaps all containing or simply using Dr. Bronner's.  One of the best recipes I have is a the multipurpose household cleaner that I got from GroceryShrink.  It costs pennies to make, and if you sign up for her site, she will email you the recipes for free.  Tell her I sent you, and I will blush!



3.  Baking Soda 


Also, very multi purpose and frugalicious.


 


4.  Apple Cider Vinegar

This took some getting used to.  Now, when I smell it I associate it with clean, clean, clean.  I like apple cider vinegar because it is a little less offensive and salad like than white vinegar.  Whatever vinegar you choose, just make sure it comes from a natural source.  Here are some tips on using apple cider vinegar.  I have tried to take it internally.  Ick.  Not quite there yet. I highly recommend it for a personal care product or for cleaning.



5.  20 Mule Team Borax




I use this along with Super Washing Soda and Castile Soap bars to make my homemade laundry soap.  I found it on the Duggar's website.  If you follow the link, scroll down, it's there.  Very easy to make.  One five gallon bucket lasts about six months in our house.  The cost is less that three dollars.  Very economical.  I would suggest washing your whites in something else.  They tend to become a little greyish.  But colors and jeans do quite well.


6.  Super Washing Soda



A little tough to find.  So if you can, stock up.  It can also be ordered online.  Or, during the summer go to the pool section in WalMart.  There you can find PH balancing Sodium Carbonate powder.  Same thing.  Remember Sodium Carbonate not BiCarbonate (Baking Soda).  When I run out of dish detergent I use a little of this, Borax and course salt in the dishwasher.  It can be used regularly but I find that after awhile it clouds up my glasses.


7.  Lemon Juice



Lemon juice has natural bleaching and antibacterial properties.  I mix it with a little olive oil to make a furniture cleaner.  Love the smell of lemons.  Way better than vinegar.  Lemons are expensive though.  Dang!  Time to get a tree!



8.  Olive Oil




Olive oil just rocks.  Try out some of these tips on this site.



9.  Essential Oils

My fave is Tea Tree Oil. The healing and antiseptic properties make it a great choice for moms who have to treat lots of cuts and bruises.  Once again Mountain Rose Herbs is a great place to find many essential oils.


Well, I better make this a top ten so here goes...

10.  Chocolate





Ahhhhhhh yeah.  (Can't get enough of your love baby!!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP