It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday..eeee!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's my last day at the pharmacy. What ever shall I do? I am terrible with goodbyes. No, I am not a big crier, or a gift giver. I am downright weird. With all the emotion of the moment, one would think I would just burst with the weight of it all.

Me? Nope. I freeze. I go blank. I think in my mind, "Hey, I should be streaked with mascara, covered in boog's , flying through tissues!" It just doesn't happen. There is a safety protocol that I have running in the back ground that stops all emotional response until I am alone. I drive home, blinded by tears, crying my eyes out.

What is that? Why not share those moments with people I have told all my wacky stories to for years? The ones who have advised me, loved me, have done gift exchanges with me during the holidays? Great people who have loved, lost, (in one case lost everything in a flood!), struggled, and triumphed all while standing with me shoulder to shoulder in the pharmacy. It has truly been a wonderful blessing, and I have grown so very, very much.

It will take some time to remember some aspects of pharmacy fondly. A LONG TIME. Like the lovely folks who come in 3 minutes to close with prescriptions for Percocet, Ambien, Keflex, Diflucan, and some obscure cough syrup that was pulled 25 years ago. Or the husbands that call at closing on Sunday and tell me their wife forgot her meds and it's a REAL emergency, can we please fill it now? Sure, of course sir, what's the medication? It's her birth control.

Or the fine people who can't seem to EVER figure out how to pay for their meds. They slide their credit card before the register is even open, then when prompted to slide again, they gripe then demand to know if they will be charged twice. (Most could avoid this whole scenario if they just READ the prompts on the machine!!!)

Another fave for me is the person who has to have everything BRAND, because generics give them a rash, a headache, eye twitches, or they just "don't work". So we have bottles of Vicodin, and Tenormin just for craps and giggles. To top it all off, most people that demand brand drugs blanch at the sight of the cost, then make us switch it to generic anyway.

I will NEVER miss the addicts. It's both heartbreaking and infuriating! I feel like a chump! I have heard every excuse in the book. I know my co workers could write a set of encyclopedia's on this subject.

I know I have barely scratched the surface of a rock the size of El Capitan, but I want today to be bittersweet, not just bitter. Oh, but I have to throw in the customers who yell and scream at the pick up counter that they have NEVER paid that much for a medication (or that ALL their meds are COMPLETELY covered) but then we go back in their profile and look...lo and behold...they've paid the same price for MONTHS! One customer picked up a certain medication then when he got home and told his wife what he paid, she picked up the phone and chewed my butt out. It was my fault that they had spent all of their grocery money! She also let me know that WALMART had only charged them four dollars for that medication. After hearing that I was purposefully overcharging poor people, (she was going to bring in a NOTE from WALMART showing what they had paid, and show my store manager!!!!!!!!), I was told that I made too much money and not everyone has a job, she hung up on me.

Sigh.

I called WM. They had been paying the same price over there. (NOT FOUR DOLLARS!!!!) For months.

Double sigh.

Things I will miss:

1. Birthday cakes.

2. Kari's red hair. I love it!!!!

3. Sheila's love for her boys, grandkids, and HOT MEN!!!

4. Brenda's infectious laugh, and sharp wit.

5. Phil's drugs. (and his sarcasm)

6. Sunday's with Susan. I could talk to her for hours.

7. Mike's sweet songs that he sings under his breath on a busy Saturday.

8. Sweet loving Shawna.

9. Justin!

10. Laurie and her soft pretty curls,

11. Shouting at Steve for overrides. His love for puppies.

12. All the other great folks I have worked with, who made work fun. Corrina, Dean, Charity, Reid, Kyla, Megan, Marlee, Dave, Gordon, Judy, the bakery gals, the Starbuck's gals, the deli gals, checkers-Tina, Tony, Kathy, Ashlee. I'll miss Phyllis (sp?), Alana, Ralph. I can't forget Garth, Lana, or Amy.

So many, who have touched my life. I know I will remember more after I post this.
It's been real. I love you all! XOXOXOXOXOX!

2 comments:

McCarty and Company November 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

What a great post!!! Wish things could be different for you and your family Liz!!! I'm excited though, to see what God does for your family in Alabama. We will be here waiting to hear good reports, of what God is doing/has done!!! Have a good day!!!

Lizzie November 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

I forgot Susan, Ken, and Chuck!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP