I Whip My Hair...

Saturday, November 20, 2010

I'm gonna go there about a few things. Hold on tight. It's gonna get serious. We gotta do this ladies. It's time.

I went and got my hair trimmed yesterday. I got me some bangs! I feel all Joan Jett. So rock AND roll! I have not been able to get in touch with the lovely lady who usually tames my locks. (Lela! Where are you???) Being in a serious time crunch before the move and holiday, I popped into Great Clips. Oh, I did it. I did it.

Before I found Lela, I used to go to Fantastic Sam's. After getting my hair butchered about 12 different times. (What can I say? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. I must be friggin nuts.) That brings me to my first blurt out.

I BELIEVE that if you are a stylist, you do hair, are a hair technician, or you just run a pair of clippers over a scalp every once in awhile, YOUR hair should look dang good.

Even if I am going to the cheapest place on earth, I want to feel confident that SOMEONE knows how to use scissors. I used to have a pretty fail safe method for getting a decent hair cut. I would look around the place and find the girl with the cutest hair and make sure I was next in line for her chair. Now, that does not EVEN work. Hey, you went to school to learn all the latest techniques. I didn't. So why is it that even I know that if you have black hair, the white streaks in it should not be pee-pee yellow? They should be more white-ish. No?? Or, the guys and gals who cut hair in 2010, but their hair screams 1989?

(There is a guy in town who runs his own salon and has more feathers in his hair than Farrah did in her famous red swimsuit photo!)

Better yet, the girls who have at least six different hair cuts and colors in one, showcasing all the cuts they learned in beauty college. Why would they not want to show off amazing locks that their clients would die to have??

I also would like to know why they let women under the age of sixty come in and get the SAME haircut for several decades. If it were me, I would say "Honey, your hair is tired of this look. It's time to move on."

That brings me to my second blurt. This one cuts me real deep. Real deep. I am as guilty of it as everyone else.

I BELIEVE that women should change their hairstyle....OFTEN. Why do we cling to a look that got us compliments years ago, but now it just dates and ages us? NoONE should have a signature hairstyle. I am not Jennifer Aniston, Carol Channing, or Phyllis Diller.
Even though I can't stand it, I still do it!!! I cut my hair then I let it grow back to the same long blob. Then I bob it, then the long blob comes right back.

I've decided never to do that again. What prompted this decision? I saw a post about MOM HAIR. Much like MOM JEANS, there is a hairstyle that moms get. Especially new moms. It's the two toned bob that is cropped up high in the back and is in an A-line down to the chin. I cringed when I read about it, because it was the exact hair cut I got after I had Gideon. I thought it was so hip. Pair it with a diaper bag and mini van, and you got it. MOM HAIR.

Rant Over. Thoughts?






2 comments:

Joni November 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

I question only why you are quoting Willow Smith. LOL. JK

No I agree, wholeheartedly. Once I went to Great Clips and when I left, I honestly wanted to die. After that, I'd collect cans to get my hair cut by my "lady". You can't rely on the "who has the good hair" technique because someone else cut it. Bummer.

I haven't changed my hair significantly in several years (except that it just keeps getting a little longer). For me though, I view it as a sort of graduation from my restless hair-morphing youth in the peace of leave it alone.

Bangs look good on you momma :)

McCarty and Company January 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

You will love getting to the age of CUTTING IT ALL OFF. I'm there, just had mine cut SHORT before Christmas. Maybe the shortest ever in my life....and I LOVE it and get so many compliments. I have tried for years to keep my hair the way family or friends suggest it should be. NOT ANYMORE. I also go to the one that does my hair the best. I tried going to family and friend beauticians, out of guilt for NOT going to them. NO MORE. I have a gal that knows my hair so well and will keep going to her until we move or she retires. :-)
P.S. I bet the feathered hair guy is Terry, at the mall. He does an amazing job, used to do mine all the time, UNTIL he started getting touchy. Seriously, he would rub my shoulders, I told him a couple of times it made me uncomfortable, had Tinkerton *hubby* go with me the last time. Was so sad to quit going there, but CAN'T even handle Tinkerton rubbing my back. UGH!!! Anyway, I thought of Terry instantly here. :-)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP